Taoyuan Arts Center is the promotion hub for the development of pop music in Northern Taiwan. This hall of artistic exhibition and performance in Taoyuan, continuously holding the Battle of the Bands for “Taoyuan Iron Rose Music Festival” for 8 years, has a great mission that is to promote Taiwan’s pop music, to develop the performance industry, and to educate the potential emerging talents. The participants will be grouped into the Adult Group and the Student Group, two divisions of the “Iron Rose Battle of the Bands”, by required qualifications. This annual music competition provides an open stage for the emerging music creators in order to discover the new stars that have great potentiality and to achieve the objective of encouraging the diverse creations on Taiwan’s market, upgrading the quality of music, and expanding the music interaction with the international markets.
- Those who are over the age of 15, limited to those who were born before 1st August 2004, may register for this competition. This activity is open and accepts participants of any nationality.
- The participants registering for the Student Group have to be the current students, including the high school students, vocational high school students, new graduate of the high school or of the vocational high school, and college students. If the three-fifths members of a team are students, they can decide to register for the Student Group or the Adult Group; if not, they have to register for the Adult Group.
- The participants shall register as a team if the number of singers is more than 2 persons. All registered participants shall meet the above-required qualification. *Each person shall be limited to register for one team.
- The program of Adult Group must include 3 pieces originally created by the participants.
- The program of Adult Group must include 3 pieces originally created by the participants. All pieces shall be the original creations; if not, it shall be limited to one cover song.
- The team members shall not be replaced at will; if there is subject to any factors of the force majeure, the team members may be replaced after the organizer approved.
- The teams who have signed the contract with any record company shall lose the qualification for competition. Those who have released the Extended Play on their own shall not be subject to the limits.
III. How to register
- The registration is effective from June 13, 2016, 12:00 to July 31, 2019, 17:00.
- The registration of the First Round has to be completed on the official website of StreetVoice. * “StreetVoice” is an open platform required for membership, free registration for log-in.
- The participants have to complete the registrations online by clicking the button “The Selection for Battle of the Bands of 2019 Iron Rose Music Festival” on the StreetVoice website and submitting the music creations. * The Adult Group is required to submit 3 originally created pieces. The Student Group has to submit 3 pieces with a limit to one cover song.
- The created song and its related lyrics have to be submitted together. The registration may affect the review points if the attachment is incomplete. Supplementation is not available.
- Please do not hesitate to contact “The Management Team of Iron Rose Battle of the Bands” through a phone call at 02-2653-4959 if you have any questions.
IV. Time schedule and location
- The First Round shall be completed on the internet. The professional music judges will evaluate and select the registered pieces submitting between August 1 and 12, 2019. * The approved list is estimated to be released on August 15, 2019, on the official website of this activity. The date of the announcement will be released once confirmed.
- The Semi-Final Round shall be held in the Outdoor Arena of Taoyuan Arts Center on Saturday, August 31, 2019, at 2 p.m. and on Sunday, September 1, 2019, at 2 p.m.
- The Final Round shall be held in the Outdoor Arena of Taoyuan Arts Center on Saturday, October 19, 2019, at 2 p.m. and on Sunday, October 20, 2019, at 2 p.m.
* Note: The rehearsal schedule for the Final Round is October 18, 2019; after rehearsal, the scheduled professional teachers will guide the participants. The organizer shall arrange for the rehearsal schedule; those who fail to attend the rehearsal schedule shall lose the qualification of competition.
V. The program
- Performing time: Maximum 15 minutes for the Semi-Final Round; maximum 20 minutes for the Final Round; performance and sound check included. The final score may be affected if the singers exceed the time specified.
- The management team of this activity will contact those who have entered the Semi-Final Round, and send the performance checklist to the participants; the singers have to complete the form and return within the specified time.
- The performance accompanying karaoke for the entire song shall be rejected.
- If the songs have to be replaced, it must be approved by the organizer in advance.
- The singers in the Student Group may choose the original creations or the cover song (one cover song only) for the Semi-Final Round; those in the Adult Group have to sing their original creations for both the Semi-Final Round and Final Round.
VI. The musical instrument
- Those who have entered the Semi-Final and Final Round shall bring their own musical instruments to the competition site.
- For a smooth operation of sound recording on site, those who have entered the Semi-Final and Final Round shall state the specification of their own musical instruments on the performance checklist before the competition starts.
- The organizer shall provide the jazz drum kit (* the drumstick excluded) and the keyboard for the use of participants, and provide the basic sound recording, sound systems, microphones, and sheet music stands for the singers’ musical instruments.
- If the musical instruments that the singers need are excluded for the above-mentioned items, the singers have to bring the ones by themselves. * For example, the electric guitar, electric bass, guitar cable, keyboard, guitar effector, drumstick, and spare guitar strings, and more.
VII. Judging and evaluation
- Scoring criteria:：
。60% for the overall musical performance, including the skills, interpretation, harmony that the vocalist and session player have performed, and the mutual understanding between team members.
。20% for the music originality, including the melody and lyrics creations and music arrangement.
。20% for the stage performances, including the stage manner, stage impression, and the features of performance.
- Those who have played for more than the time limit, their scores shall be deducted for 30 seconds per unit and 5 points minus per unit; less than 30 seconds shall be regarded as 30 seconds per unit.
- Performance time shall be the moments that the singers stand on the stage.
- 5 professional judges will evaluate the points for each performance, which is on the basis of a maximum 100 points, and the final score will be the total points of all judges.
- The result of the competition will depend on the final score; after the competition ended, the ranking list and approved list shall be released for an open and justice closing.
- Those who have entered the top 20 of the First Round list shall be the approved participants for the Semi-Final Round; those who have entered the top 10 of the Semi-Final Round list shall be the singers for the Final Round.
- The list of approved singers or winning teams shall be released on the official website of this activity the day after the Semi-Final and Final competitions ended respectively.
VIII. Award & Prize
The Student Group
- Champion: 1 quota, prize money NT$100, 000 with one trophy, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stages of the Iron Rose Music Festival and the Live House respectively.
- Jury Award: 1 quota, prize money NT$ 50,000 with one trophy, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stage of the Live House.
- Excellent Award: 1 quota, prize money NT$ 30,000 with one trophy, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stage of the Live House.
- Taoyuan Award: 1 quota, prize money NT$ 10,000 with one trophy, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stage of the Live House. * The qualification is limited to teams that more than half of members have settled or studied in the Taoyuan area.
- Best Popularity Award: 1 quota, prize money NT$ 10,000, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stage of the Live House.
The Adult Group
- Iron Rose Champion: 1 quota, prize money NT$400, 000 with one trophy, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stages of the Iron Rose Music Festival and the Live House respectively.
- Iron Rose Jury Award: 1 quota, prize money NT$ 200,000 with one trophy, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stage of the Live House.
- Iron Rose Excellent Award: 1 quota, prize money NT$ 100,000 with one trophy, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stage of the Live House.
- Taoyuan Award: 1 quota, prize money NT$ 50,000 with one trophy, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stage of the Live House. * The qualification is limited to teams that more than half of members have settled in the Taoyuan area.
- Best Popularity Award: 1 quota, prize money NT$ 50,000, and winning the opportunity to perform on the stage of the Live House.
* Note: the above-winning teams will have the opportunity to be recommended performing on the stages of the Wake Up Festival, MONSTER ENERGY X EMERGE FEST, or the overseas music festivals, and having the musical interaction with foreign markets.
IX. Report schedule
- Those who have entered the Semi-Final Round have to report 1 hour prior to the competition; those who have entered the Final Round have to report 1 hour prior to the competition on the same day.
- During the period of competition, those who failed to attend on the site shall be considered withdrawing from the competition.
- If those who have entered this competition have any questions about the battle of bands, they shall report their questions in writing to the organizer 3 days prior to the competition. After the lists of selected and winning teams released, the participants shall respect the decision of the judges and shall not have any objection.
X. Items to Note
- In accordance with the regulations of Taiwan’s Income Tax Act., while the winning subject or prize money is in the amount of NT$ 20,000 or more, the winner has to deduct 10% rate of the income tax of prize and 2% rate of the 2nd-generation National Health Insurance prior to collecting the prize. If the winner is a foreigner, he shall deduct a 20% rate of the income tax of prize in accordance with the related regulations. * The domestic resident or foreigner who has lived in the Territory of Taiwan less than 183 days shall be considered as the foreigner.
- In accordance with the regulations of Taiwan’s Income Tax Act., while the amount of prize is more than NT$ 1,000, the prize income will be included in the individual income tax of the year. Therefore, before collecting the prize, the winner has to fill in and submit the related receipt in accordance with the regulations. If the winner fails to complete the required procedure, it shall be considered the winner voluntarily giving up the prize and losing the qualification of collecting the prize as well.
- The winners of all awards shall authorize the organizer – Department of Cultural Affairs, Taoyuan or Art Facilities Management Center, Taoyuan (* depending on the actually listed organizer) to use the winning song for non-commercial purposes on a permanently free-of-charge basis. In addition, the organizer will produce a winning single for the winning team, which shall be authorized for the following uses, including releasing the winning single on the domestic and foreign digital albums/singles markets, broadcasting and playing the winning song to the public, publicly playing, releasing, and transmitting the winning single on the wireless, cable, the analog and digital TV channels of the satellite, radio stations, movie theaters, hangout venues, and the internet.
- In order to achieve the advertising effect and a complete record for this activity, all the participants of the Iron Rose Music Festival Battle of Bands shall agree to authorize the organizer free of charge to use their names, portraits, and video and audio recordings in the designated media or on the designated social media platforms; the organizer has to be authorized to use the mentioned information for publicly playing or broadcasting to the related activities’ promotional materials, report, radio and TV broadcasts, and on the internet.
- After the list of Final Round released, the approved participants shall cooperate with the organizer’s planning facilitate the disclosure and promotion of the related important information, including using the new media for posting and sharing the new message and accepting the interview from media.
- The winners of all awards shall cooperate the related Iron Rose adverting and promotional activities that all organizers have held. However, if there is anyone who obtains the organizers’ approvement for not attending the adverting and promotional activities or asks for absence with good reasons, the organizers shall fill up the vacancy through the candidates on the waiting list.
- The submitted information will not be returned, so the participants have to maintain the copy by themselves for the future reference. Meanwhile, the participants shall agree to use that information for media promotion.
- The original song in the competition shall not be an adapted work, such as the translation works or re-arranged works. If the registered piece has adapted from other’s creation, the author’s authorization letter is required to submit for reference. If there is any plagiarism or deception, the organizer shall have the right to withdraw the participant’s eligibility and ask for returning the winning prize.
- If any winning team has joined in the competition under an impostor and used non-original creations, it will damage the organizer’s reputation; the organizer shall withdraw the participant’s eligibility if verified; the prize position will not be re-filled up. * The Student Group is excluded to this regulation.
- Each participant is required to register in only one team for the competition. The qualification will be withdrawn if a repeat registration.
- The information on the performance checklist for the Semi-Final and Final Round shall be filled truly and in detail; after the submitting deadline, the participant shall not ask for add, decrease or revise, otherwise, the participant’s eligibility shall be withdrawn.
- The participants shall be responsible for their transportation and dining charges by themselves. During the period of competition, the content of performance shall not be grossly obscene and other violations of good customs, the violator shall be withdrawn his eligibility and canceled the score.
- The Student Group who has entered the Final Round may use the rehearsal rooms of Taoyuan Arts Center free of charge during the period between the Semi-Final and Final Rounds. * The use regulations shall be in accordance with the related provisions.
- The list of winners will be released after the Final Round ended. The participants in the Final Round shall wait on the site for the announcement of winners and the award ceremony.
- During the period of competition, the organizer will conduct a special video recording and photo shoot, and the participant may not have any objection.
- As the venue of this activity is an open space, the participants have to take care of their own valuables by themselves; the organizer shall not be responsible for the loss if any.
- If there is any question for this activity, the organizer shall release an official announcement on the site, and the organizer reserves the right to modify and change the activity.
- All participants joining in this competition shall be considered to consent to the above provisions.